Thursday, April 10, 2014

Recent Posts Around the Web

I'm now down to the last month of my first year of PhD work, and, as usual, my blog has been neglected this semester. I'm hoping to write here a bit more regularly this summer, but in the meantime, any leftover blogging time I have usually goes towards writing on websites that reach a wider audience than my personal blog (the one exception to this: my "Bracket Strategies From Your Favorite Evangelical Gurus" post. Thanks to tweeted links from Jonathan Merritt and Sarah Pulliam Bailey, that post became the most widely-viewed post ever at my blog).

With that said, here's some info on a few of my most recent posts from around the web. Check em out if you haven't yet.

(1) At the Religion in the American West blog, I recently wrote about the return of the Social Gospel and what it might mean for scholars of the American West. It was a reprise of sorts of a longer piece I wrote last December for the Religion in American History blog.

(2) Speaking of Religion in American History, my three most recent posts include:
(3) I wrote a piece on the Son of God and marketing Jesus movies to ministers for the Christian Century's "Then and Now" column. I'll admit that the piece is not particularly great. I'm not very experienced writing short pieces that make a scholarly perspective accessible to a broad audience -- at least not yet. But it's something I'd like to improve upon, and I'm very thankful that Ed Blum (the "Then and Now" editor and one of my favorite historians) gave me a chance to write for the site. Even if you don't read my piece, I highly encourage you to check out the Then and Now page each week (new posts come on Wednesdays). Some great scholars regularly show up there.

A couple other miscellaneous updates:

  • One of my buddies since elementary school (Jordan Bass) is now a sports management professor at the University of Kansas. We decided to get together (along with another sports management prof) and do some interdisciplinary collaboration for a research article on coaching scandals and the impact of fan reaction in a "viral" age. I helped out with some of the history, and I got to dig into famous coaching scandals from the past like those involving Woody Hayes, Frank Kush, and Bobby Knight. The end result was accepted by the International Sport Coaching Journal for publication. You can check out “'Going Viral': The Impact of Forced Crowdsourcing on Coaching Evaluation Procedures," in the journal later this year.   
  • Coming up on May 9th, I will be presenting a paper for the "Religion and Sexual Revolutions in the United States" conference, hosted by the John C. Danforth Center on Religion and Politics at Washington University in St. Louis.